- lightweight comfy design
- long battery life
- correct GPS and job tracker
- Clear and crisp coloration display
- easy to make use of interface
- huge buttons for efficient navigation
- distinguished tool offering all the data you might want to ever want
- pricey for a Forerunner
The Garmin Forerunner 935 used to be announced ultimate month and as I continue actively training for my first full marathon in June I’ve spent the last few weeks testing out the Forerunner 935 and evaluating it to other GPS wearables.
a few yr in the past I tested out a Garmin Fenix three HR and found it compelling sufficient to buy one for myself. i’ve been the use of my very own considering that then and regarded as it a nearly excellent accomplice to the Galaxy S7 edge.
The Garmin Forerunner 935 offers the same tool expertise, but is somewhat smaller and considerably lighter than the Fenix three HR so it tends to disappear on my wrist and i’ve often forgotten I even had it strapped on when I ran.
- display: 1.2 inch (30.4mm) 240 x 240 pixels decision transflective shade display
- Storage: 64MB interior for maps, routes, and one hundred hours of process information
- Water resistance: 5 ATM
- Connectivity and sensors: WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, ANT+, GPS, GLONASS, optical HR, barometer, compass, thermometer
- Battery: Rated for 60 hours in UltraTrac mode, 24 hours in GPS coaching mode, and a pair of weeks in smartwatch mode with 24/7 HR monitoring
- Dimensions: 47 x forty seven x thirteen.9 mm and 49 grams
The Garmin Fenix 3 HR weighs in at 86.1 grams, which is 37 grams heavier than the Forerunner 935. The Forerunner 935 can be 2.1 mm thinner and three.5 mm much less in diameter.
One factor that struck me concerning the Garmin Fenix three HR used to be the chrome steel and polymer construction. The Fenix three HR is a stout wearable that is also rather huge.
After opening up the box for the Garmin Forerunner 935, I was floored by means of the extraordinarily mild weight of the watch. bearing in mind it packs inside of the whole lot you in finding in the Fenix 3 HR with longer battery lifestyles, that is an impressive feat.
I by no means purchased earlier Forerunner devices as a result of they always felt just a little low cost to me. They have been actually neatly constructed, however the gentle weight and plastic really feel saved me from spending $ 400 or more on a Forerunner. The Forerunner 935 is mild weight, however the fiber-strengthened polymer feels strong and the silicone band works well with the watch.
The Forerunner 935 helps the brand new Garmin QuickFit band possibility, however the band integrated with the tool just isn’t a QuickFit band so that you wish to purchase another band and installation package to benefit from this performance.
The show is not a touchscreen so all interactions are carried out through the use of 5 buttons; three on the left and two on the correct. it’s not sapphire glass just like the Fenix three HR and Fenix 5 gadgets. Navigation is the same as on other Garmin units and even freshmen will determine it out in a couple of days. I in my opinion find the use of buttons a lot better than a touchscreen that may be tempermental within the rain or when coated with sweat.
The buttons are used for the next, moving from the highest proper and going clockwise: begin/cease/make a choice, back/lap, down, up, and lightweight. you could additionally press and cling on the light button to access options to show off the watch, get entry to music controls, to find your telephone, save location, lock device, do not disturb, and sync. pressing and keeping in on the up button gives get right of entry to to look at face, clock, historical past, and settings.
The silicone band has a number of openings to totally alter to your wrist dimension. The clasp is significant whereas the retainer loop has a nub in it to lend a hand secure the band free finish so that you do not need to fret about it ever falling off in even probably the most excessive task.
The optical heart price screen is based on the again of the Forerunner 935 and is much more flush to the again than what we see on the Fenix 3 HR.
There are also 4 charging pins recessed on the aspect of the back. A proprietary USB charging dock is incorporated with the Garmin Forerunner 935. Given the long battery existence, I best chaged up the watch once per week with 3-four training runs and daily task.
operating Dynamics Pod accessory: Garmin additionally sent along the new operating Dynamics Pod, to be had for $ sixty nine.ninety nine, that’s used to seize six working dynamics metrics. I up to now used the HRM-Run strap that also captures these related metrics, but i am personally now not a massive fan of chest straps that chafe my chest just a little.
The guidelines for the operating Dynamics Pod (RDP) are very explicit in regards to putting the RDP in your rear waistband on the center of your physique and in the right kind orientation. The RDP connects by the use of ANT+ to the Forerunner 935. It can be used with the Fenix 5 collection, however does no longer work with the Garmin Fenix three HR or different older watches.
The RDP has a CF1632 battery that is rated to closing a few year. It has an IPX7 water-proof score and to tell you the truth I forgot it once on my shorts and it survived one cycle of the wash without incident. there’s a reminder pop-up that seems on the Forerunner 935 after your run to make sure to take the RDP off of your waistband, however I spent an excessive amount of time goofing round after my run ahead of I threw my shorts in the wash.
The RDP weighs in at just 12 grams and i by no means observed it was once connected to my waistband, even while operating in a 10-mile race.
The Garmin site certainly lists the six recorded dynamics and what each approach. As you will see, the RDP is an very important piece of gear for individuals who wish to make stronger their form and method. The running Dynamics Pod has an accelerometer in the module that measures torso motion to calculate these 6 working metrics:
- Cadence is the number of steps per minute. It shows the full steps (right and left mixed).
- floor contact time stability displays the left/proper balance of your ground contact time whereas running. It shows a percentage. as an instance, 53.2 with an arrow pointing left or proper.
- Stride length is the size of your stride from 1 footfall to the following. it’s measured in meters.
- Vertical oscillation is your soar while running. It displays the vertical movement of your torso, measured in centimeters for each step.
- Vertical ratio is the ratio of vertical oscillation to stride size. It shows a percentage. A lower number most often indicates better working form.
- floor contact time is the period of time in each and every step that you just spend on the bottom while operating. it’s measured in milliseconds.
The software on the watch is principally the identical as what you to find on newer Garmin devices, such because the Garmin Fenix three HR. probably the most first issues I did was soar into the connect IQ store and install a couple of cool watch faces to customize the experience.
you should utilize the Garmin Forerunner 935 to track running, biking, mountain climbing, triathlon, rowing, stand-up paddling (SUP), open water or pool swimming, mountain climbing, snow snowboarding, path working, golf, and even jumping out of an airplane. In my check duration, i tried the running and mountain climbing performance. I didn’t get an opportunity to try cycling, however I do have Garmin velocity and cadence sensors to seize that knowledge too.
The Forerunner 935 additionally bargains the power to track your phone by sending a sign to it by the use of Bluetooth in order that an audible alarm sounds that can assist you find your related cellphone.
available widgets, views of your data, embody steps, altimeter, climate, notifications, coronary heart rate, closing game, song controls, compass, barometer, temperature, VIRB digicam, calendar, and extra are to be had to you. The music controls are handy and let me control the tune playing on my phone once I run so I don’t have to drag my cellphone out of my arm band. that you could choose the default track app throughout the smartphone application.
The Forerunner 935 has an integrated WiFi radio so that you could have your job data synced to your Garmin join account while you return to a WiFi zone in the past dependent. it is great to enter my house after understanding and have my data synced automatically to my Garmin account.
There are a fantastic choice of settings and customization choices available that I can’t begin to quilt them all right here in this overview. for example, within the running app you could customize up to 10 knowledge displays in a layout from one to 4 fields with timer, distance, p.c., velocity, coronary heart charge, dynamics, cadence, temperature, elevation, compass, navigation, and different fields. i like to recommend you spend some quality time customizing the whole lot exactly how you want it and then manage to tweak things as you operate your activity and find you need to view your knowledge in a different way.
which you can setup alerts, educate to a metronome, choose auto laps and auto pause, view 3D pace or distance, have your data fields auto scroll, and even change up all of the colours. it’s actually slightly gorgeous how a lot customization is to be had on the Fenix three HR, which means it is going to fulfill every consumer’s wants.
Smartphone device and web page
amassing the info is essential, however the usage of that data for monitoring traits, improving efficiency, challenging friends, and settling on areas of difficulty can be very important. Garmin is among the few firms that provides the Garmin connect app for iOS, Android, and windows 10 mobile. The app may be very helpful and gives an awesome amount of data.
whilst you first launch the smartphone app you’ll see the snapshots residence display that displays your step and sleep growth, energetic energy, intensity minutes, actions, and flooring climbed. which you can also make a choice to show your food consumption by way of a connection to MyFitnessPal.
you can make a choice to customize the snapshots via choosing actions and then inserting them in the order you favor to view them. From the snapshots house screen simply swipe left or right to scroll during the various activity displays with rather more detail.
which you could additionally tap the upper left menu icon to leap to leaderboard, calendar, information feed, insights, task stats, well being stats, workouts, path, segments, tools, connections, teams, LiveTrack, obtain golf classes, connect IQ retailer, Garmin gadgets, settings, and lend a hand. As one can find the smartphone application could be very powerful and presents your whole knowledge in brilliant colors. that you may view knowledge over different time frames, see your data, view the badges you earned, see totals and averages, and much more.
On an Android smartphone which you can also advantageous tune your sensible notifications by using deciding on the specific apps on the way to be allowed to send notifications to your Garmin Forerunner 935. On iOS, you get whatever notifications you might have enabled within the iOS settings so I personally favor the Android smartphone expertise.
The Garmin join web page experience is very similar to what you see in the smartphone software, with much more capability to generate reports, import or export data, setup connections to other applications (such as Strava, RunKeeper, and MyFitnessPal), and extra. just like the snapshots interface on the cellphone, you’ve got a dashboard on Garmin join you could customise.
I created dashboard tabs for day-to-day job, running, cycling, and hiking on the grounds that these are my primary actions. that you would be able to then customise the view that seems on your dashboard or choose to leap to a full web page view of the chosen data.
Over on the left you’re going to in finding the three line button that opens up a massive listing of options which you could navigate to for extra knowledge and knowledge. another choice lets you handle your profile, settings, and 3rd birthday celebration connections.
Pricing and competition
which you can buy the bottom model Garmin Forerunner 935 quickly (I consider sales start 18 may just) for $ 499.ninety nine. A bundle that features a Forerunner 935 with black watch face and yellow accent band, yellow band, HRM-TRI HR strap, HRM-SWIM HR strap, and fast unlock equipment can be available for $ 649.ninety nine. i have not considered any bundle with the working Dynamics Pod, however that will make good feel for the focused runner.
the very best competitors for the Garmin Forerunner 935 may be Garmin’s new Fenix 5 line. These start at $ 599.99 and go up from there so that you can store $ a hundred with the aid of picking the Forerunner 935.
daily usage experiences and conclusion
in the intro i discussed a suite of standards that i’ve centered for myself when looking for a good GPS sport watch and activity tracker so let me share that criteria and the way the Forerunner 935 matched up.
- Battery life: every device that lasts just a day frequently results in my administrative center drawer or will get bought. I’ve discovered over time that i would like an process tracker that lasts on the subject of every week, or more, to be completely happy. I was ready to get into my 2nd week persistently with the Forerunner 935 and it was honestly very refreshing to no longer in point of fact think much about battery lifestyles for a wearable.
- built-in coronary heart fee monitoring: The Garmin Forerunner gives an accurate view of my heart fee in all of my tested actions. i do not train with an in depth eye on my coronary heart charge so the wrist-primarily based solution would possibly not work perfect for these other folks.
- Readable and customizable process show: I prefer to have three or four fields express up on my wrist so i can look down at my standing and regulate to satisfy my process intention. The Forerunner 935 is completely customizable and is one of the best I’ve viewed at providing this personalization.
- computerized sleep tracking: I sleep extra after I track it, but when i have to push a button or enable sleep tracking I incessantly omit to do it. The Forerunner 935 has proven to get it right as a rule and if it misses on either finish i can quick and simply edit the beginning or finish time to capture my sleep accurately.
- 1/2 marathon battery lifestyles with day-to-day tracking: I run a few 2 hour 1/2 marathon % and whereas this must be capable to be met with the aid of all GPS watches, when you add on day-to-day monitoring I’ve viewed other gadgets die on my training runs. There are no concerns in any respect with the Forerunnger 935 when it comes to battery life and that peace of thoughts is effective to me.
- normal smartphone notifications: information has shown that most people use their smartwatch for notifications and to view the time. i have but to search out any compelling reason to make use of apps on a smartwatch so if a GPS activity watch can present me with name, text, and common notifications then that is all i would like. The Forerunner 935 if truth be told helps an infinite number of application notifications and more than meets my common smartwatch needs.
- Silent alarm: My spouse want to through all of my telephones out the door when they blare out at 4:35 am each and every morning. thankfully, the Garmin Forerunner 935 will also be setup to offer a vibration alert when it is time to stand up. I would like to see it wake me right through a mild time of my sleep like every other process trackers will, however having the vibration at a set time is best than a cellphone alarm.
- stable ecosystem and apps to get right of entry to information: taking pictures the info is effective, however I additionally desire a device that has an ecosystem for me to view the details of the data, create studies, observe developments, and assist me give a boost to my efficiency and well being. Garmin has nice apps for iOS, Android, and windows 10 cell, in addition to an awfully practical site dashboard for viewing and using the accrued data.
After wearing the Garmin Forerunner 935 for the last few weeks, I’ve given serious consideration to promoting my Fenix 3 HR with the intention to choose up the 935. The lighter weight and smaller measurement make this an especially compelling high finish GPS sports activities watch that i feel many will to find compelling. then again, the Fenix 3 HR is a little more rugged and the dimensions hasn’t troubled me much during the last year.
whereas i attempt to duvet my experiences and small print of wearables right here on ZDNet, no person beats Mr. Ray Maker in terms of wearable tech opinions. I highly suggest you check up on the DC Rainmaker full evaluate of the Garmin Forerunner 935. He goes into the entire difficult important points of the watch and in addition assessments out many modes of coaching.
latest topics for ZDNet in opinions